Thursday, August 15

Interview with Australian Author: Dianne Bates








If you are an Australian children's writer, I'm sure you know her; and if you are a reader of Australian children's literature, I'm sure you read her books. Dianne Bates is one of the most prolific writers I have met and one of the kindest. When you start out as a writer, it cannot be put into words what having an expert support and encourage you to grow as a writer. Dianne first did this for me when she sent me her manuscript feedback, many, many, many years ago. It gave me courage and the realisation that I too, could be a children’s author one day!


Dianne is not only a highly awarded author but a great writers' mentor and advocate of Australian children’s literature. She has founded several sub-branches of the Children's Book Council of Australia Children's Book Council of Australia (CBCA) of NSW and was awarded The Lady Cutler Prize for distinguished services to children's Literature in 2008.

Here is a woman, who knows the ins and outs concerning both sides of the fence of publishing; as an author and co-editor of a national children's magazine, Puffinalia (Penguin Books) and editor of another national magazine, Little Ears as well as a book publisher.



Dianne was born in Sydney and studied at the University of Wollongong. Her writing career kicked off with her first book, Terri published by Penguin Books in 1980. Since then, she has published over 130 books, mostly for young readers. Some of these books have won state and national awards; others have been translated into French, Danish and German. Her junior verse novel, Nobody's Boy and junior novel, The Shape, have won CBCA Notable Awards.

Dianne has toured for the National Book Council and has undertaken commissioned writing for a large number of organisations and has worked on the editorial team of the New South Wales Department of education School Magazine. 

Dianne is married to prize-winning YA author, Bill Condon, whose awards include the inaugural Prime Minister's Literary Award for Youth Writing and three CBCA Honour Books of the Year. She lives in Wollongong, NSW where she works as a freelance writer and manuscript assessor and writes a popular blog, Writing for Children. You can find out more about the Buzz Words Magazine here.

                                    *****

Q.1 Di, What sparked your interest in writing your first published book Terri, and I must ask, was it the first manuscript you’ve ever written? 
DB: Yes, Terri was my first manuscript. I wrote it basically as I was socially isolated, living in a hut on a mountain. I’d reached the age of 29 and felt that I’d never distinguished myself in any way other than as a mother and failed wife so decided to have a book written and published by the time I was 30. This is what happened! So, setting a firm goal is a biggie if you want to achieve.


Q.2. The length of your published books list is inspiring. Where do you get your ideas from and how do you develop them into a book-length structure? 
DB:  Ideas are never a problem for me as I’m curious and alert to possibilities, seeing ideas in everything, everyone and everywhere. I always finish whatever I start so I don’t start a book until and unless I’m convinced I can finish it (though, having said that, I’m struggling at the moment with a work-in-progress). Quite a few books I’ve written are non-fiction, so I decide on the number of chapters for the book and then write chapter headings and go from there.

Q.3 What are the highlights in your writing career that called you off guard?                                                      

DB:  Getting my first Literature Board grant was exciting: I’d applied of course but didn’t really expect to get one. I am always grateful for that grant as it showed, even before I’d had a book published, that someone believed in my talent. Winning two children’s choice book awards (WAYRBA and KOALA) were two other unexpected windfalls.


Q.4 Can you tell us what themes you explored in your stories and why? 
DB: Most of my books are written in the social-realism genre so I’ve explored subjects such as fostering, domestic violence and family disharmony: often I base these subjects on my life experience. On the other hand, much of my fiction has been humorous; as a classroom teacher I came across many reluctant readers, so I wrote for them.


Q.5 This is a very deep question: Are you a ‘plotter’ or a ‘pantser’?
DB:  I’m both, depending on the book I’m writing but mostly I’m a pantser. With my most recent book, I wrote in a way I’d never done before, writing chapters all over the place and then looking for how to slot them together. This presented a problem as the story time frame was only three days and nights, and I finished up having more action than I could fit into this time!


Q.6 If any of your books would be adapted for film, which book would it be? 
DB: I wrote a series of humorous books about fictional bushrangers: I’d love to see them animated (e.g. Desert Dan the Dunnyman). I’m sure they would be hugely popular with children.


Q.7 What was the best writing advice you have received that you would like to share? 
DB: Read as many recent children’s books as you can if you are writing for children.


Q.8 Many authors started their career as avid readers when they were young. Growing up, what was one of the ‘classics’ that imprinted itself on you? Did you have any favourite authors you’d read more than others? 
DB: There wasn’t the same choice in reading books when I was a child as there is today, but I was a huge Enid Blyton fan, especially enjoying The Famous Five and Secret Seven series. I also loved Heidi and The Swiss Family Robertson. The first book I read as a teenager was How Green was My Valley.


Q.9 As a writer, you give life to many, many characters. If you could swap places with someone of your own creation for one day, who would it be? 
DB: Grandma Cadbury from the four-book series I wrote is feisty, energetic, sociable and adventurous.


Q. 10 What’s your current project about?                                              
DB: I have started a book based on my childhood experience of being sent to a children’s home, but it’s stalled: I have interesting characters and a sea-side setting, but so far no story! It will happen, though I don’t know when!


Q. 11 You have been in the writing game for decades, your experience extends to both sides of the fence of publishing.  What, in your opinion, are helpful traits in an emerging writer?
DB: Persistence is paramount. Treating writing as a business. Write and read frequently and be prepared to wait forever and a day for publishers to respond to your submissions. Networking helps, too. Also, and this is a biggie – learn how to effectively self-edit. I highly recommend joining a writing critique group (face-to-face or online).


Q. 12 What Australian children's book(s) you read in the past twelve months stood out for you and why would you recommend them?
DB: Lenny’s Book of Everything by Karen Foxlee (Allen & Unwin) It is rare to find a book, especially one for children, which employs a writing style which is distinctively different from others. Its language is quirky and engaging. I absolutely loved it and it’s become my favourite ever children’s novel.

I would also highly recommend the fantastical Vincent and The Grandest Hotel on Earth by Lisa Nicol (Puffin Books) as it’s super imaginative and spell-binding.

The Secrets of a Schoolyard Millionaire by Nat Amoore (Puffin Books) was a wonderful read. Told in first person present tense, the story is fast-acting and has moments of high drama with splashes of humour.

Thank you, Di, and happy writing, everyone!



You can find Dianne Bates and Buzz Words Magazine on Twitter: @BuzzWordsZine 
and visit her blog Writing for Children and website http://www.buzzwordsmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment