Wednesday, January 30

WOW _ Word of the week #3

  WOW - Word Of the Week #3



This word came up in my recent readings on gods, mythologies (mainly Greek and Norse) and when I looked up its meaning, found that the sound of the word doesn't reflect the 'weight' of its meaning. Or is it just me? 

Here's the definition:
                                          #3

Tutelary

 derives from the Latin noun tutelarius, meaning "guardian." "Tutelarius," is composed of the word tutela ("protection" or "guardian") and the suffix  "-arius," that implies belonging and connection. The words tutelage and tutor have the same roots "Tutelary" can be an adjective or noun referring to a power (such as a deity) who acts as a guardian, like a deity or a spirit.


1having the guardianship of a person or a thingtutelary goddess
2of or relating to a guardian
I was actually surprised about its relation to the word tutor. I have been working as a tutor for many years, but had never looked at its deeper meaning until I came across this word. But I guess I shouldn't be as the work as a tutor can be seen as guardianship of knowledge and of the passing on of that knowledge.

Tutelary -Dragon - guardian spirit

When I searched for images on the internet, I found dragons amongst deities. Smaug was the guardian of the Dwarves' mountain full of gold and riches. My son made this beautiful dragon, which I call Æthelflæd (yes, named after Lady Æthelflæd of Mercia, warrior ruler of the 10th century), who, now that I'm thinking about it, was also a guardian in her own right. I love it when it all comes together like this!



>What kind of intriguing tutelary can you think of?<

Leave your comments below:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment